Sustainability is a key component of FIT’s mission. During Sustainability Awareness Week, October 2 to 5, the FIT community will get to experience some of the college’s recent developments in this arena.
- On Monday, tour FIT’s green roofs and learn about the many environmental benefits of this elevated natural paradise.
- On Tuesday, bring a T-shirt or smaller textile to bundle-dye it with flowers grown in FIT’s natural dye garden.
- Wednesday, local farmers will sell their bounties in the Breezeway, representatives from GrowNYC will educate visitors about composting and recycling, and a freecycle station will be set up for exchanging unwanted items.
- Thursday, sample a flight of local honey, learn about urban beekeeping and FIT’s hives, and make a beeswax alternative to plastic wrap.
- On Tuesday and Thursday, students, faculty, and staff can attend an information and brainstorming session about applying for a sustainability grant.
The week of events is sponsored by the FIT Sustainability Council. Visit fitnyc.edu/saw to learn more.