Lunch with André Leon Talley, anyone? A meet-and-greet with Fern Mallis? A private tour of the current exhibition at The Museum at FIT with its director and chief curator Valerie Steele? If these experiences sound captivating, you won’t want to miss the Designers and Books Fair, October 2-4 in the John E. Reeves Great Hall at FIT. Purchase a book by a select group of participating authors, and you will be entered to win one of these extraordinary experiences (among others), while at the same time supporting the college.
The Designers and Books Fair is the world’s only book fair dedicated to architecture, fashion, and design. Free and open to the public, this year’s fair will feature more than 60 of the top publishers of books on architecture, fashion design, interior design, web design, landscape architecture, product design, and urban design. Books will be on sale from European, Asian, and American publishers and booksellers, including antiquarian dealers. There will be book giveaways, and many books will be discounted up to 60%. The fair will feature book signings by authors and intimate discussions with some of the industry’s best innovators in the world of design.
A portion of the proceeds will benefit the Gladys Marcus Library at FIT, which supports the academic and research needs of the FIT community and serves the fashion and design industries with more than 300,000 materials.
Experiences with Authors™ – Purchase a book by one of more than 20 participating authors and be entered to win unique experiences, including:
- Lunch with André Leon Talley
- Two VIP tickets to an upcoming 92Y Fashion Icons event, along with a meet-and-greet with host Fern Mallis and her guest speaker
- A private guided tour of Fashion Underground: The World of Susanne Bartsch with exhibition curator Valerie Steele
- A personal tour with men’s fashion authority, author, and editor Bruce Boyer of his favorite suit Atelier
- A trip to Corona, Queens, with author Julie Iovine to visit the National Historic Landmark home of jazz legend Louis Armstrong
All programs are held in FIT’s Katie Murphy Amphitheatre and are free and open to the public. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis. If you wish to guarantee a seat for $10, click on the program you are interested in on the website and follow the link to register with Eventbrite®.
A robust series of public programs will also take place in the Katie Murphy Amphitheatre throughout the Designers and Books Fair. Some of these will include:
- Milton Glaser: Work + Passion, A Conversation with Steven Heller
- Irma Boom: 10 Favorite Books, A Conversation with MoMA’s Juliet Kinchin
- Kickstarting Design Book Launches: Three Case Studies—NYCTA Graphic Standards Manual; Gary Hustvit’s Complete Interviews; Hermann Zapf’s Sketchbook
- Architecture and Drawing: Peter Bohlin, Daniel Libeskind, Suchi Reddy, and Michael Welton in Conversation with Wendy Goodman
Some program speakers will be signing copies of books that have been purchased at the Fair. This will take place immediately following their programs.
Exhibition Hall: John E. Reeves Great Hall at FIT
Friday, Oct 2
6pm – 9pm
Saturday, October 3
11am – 7pm
Sunday, October 4
11am – 6pm